Main Menu

What's left of the Mega Man community...?

Started by TechnoWolf, March 28, 2014, 11:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechnoWolf

I recently read this topic on the Capcom Unity forum :

http://www.capcom-unity.com/mega_man/go ... thing-else

Now, my intention is neither to tell "it's over, we're finished" or "goddamn you Capcom !!" but ask one simple question :

With Capcom-Unity's moderators who are really... really not diplomatic when it comes to answering fans about Mega Man ; and with the Mighty N?9 community that has been divided in two because of you-know-who.............. I must ask : what remains of the Mega Man community ?

We may see, if Mighty N?9 does sell well and becomes a staple in the videogaming culture, several MN9 community rising, plus this very one born from the backers, right on the ashes of the Megaman fanbase. But there will be another side of the coin : these communities will make Mega Man fall into limbo.

There is still fanpage on Facebook like 100l strong for bringing up Legends 3 or Operation Maverick Hunter, but will they last if MN9 "replaces" Mega Man ?

In my honest opinion, nobody will replace Mega Man, he is my favourite videogame icon, and nobody, not even Beck, can take his place. Now, that isn't saying that Beck holds no place in my heart. I very well see a true successor to Mega Man here, and I'm really having high hopes for MN9. But maybe I'm the only one really holding on to the Mega Man franchise, maybe because I think it ended way too soon (even with the incredible life span it had). I think there still was so much to exploit, so much universes to create, so much genre to tap it (I will tell you more if you want).

But how many people will remain truly attached to Mega Man ? Hence my question, with all the desperation (even though MN9 exists), what will remain of the Mega Man fanbase in the near future...?

TheCloudyEye

It's hard to tell. My guess is that unless something happens that revive the Mega Man franchise, the fanbase will just keep shrinking 'til we are left with a handful of passionate people who keeps the memories of the Blue Bomber alive.

Jagos

I'd argue it like this...

The studios don't seem to understand their fanbase nor how passionate a fan really is.  The MM franchise had its run, but it's time to retire him.  Already, other people can continue the story in a number of ways while we can see the fanbase coming up with better stories.

This is similar to the Sonic franchise.  Even though the games have been left alone for Sega to pursue other games, that doesn't stop the fans from keeping the game relevant.

I'm pretty sure that people will do the same thing here with MM.

GUnitCOlima

You can bet that there will be those of us, that no matter what, will keep the Blue Bomber alive for years to come.

TechnoWolf

That is precisely my point : how many of us will remain ?

Swan Dive

After MMX4 I dropped off Megaman entirely, the games after just never seemed to keep me entertained.  Maybe it was too much of the same thing for me, or maybe I just became too addicted to social gaming.  Who knows.  I'm still bummed that the Megaman MMO was canceled though..that was my last hope for being involved with the Megaman fanbase.

icannotdomyjob

@Swan Dive

You have to at the least play Megaman X 5, and maybe the Megaman Zero series. They updated the those games with more features and challenges to keep them interesting.

But I get where you are coming from.