Main Menu

Video game music

Started by Ryusei, January 15, 2014, 08:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryusei

I played The Last Story and liked that the combat was more original than the usual jrpg, but it seemed to me it could have been much better and the action more fluid. I liked the support characters best but the main character and premise seemed way too generic, and that's just no good in a jrpg, where the plot and the characters are important factors.

Fairest GG final boss, unlike Leopaldon.

Ryusei

If only the Shiny Festa games weren't the worst games in the entire franchise, i'd consider purchasing an apple device to play the iOS ports (which btw are the only im@s titles that have been officialy translated into English).

So far, mechanically speaking, the PSP's SP games are the superior games (some of them have been fan translated), as they can provide some level of challenge providing you're not using the Retry option if you lose (which is pretty much cheating as it makes the time go back while keeping all the skill increases).

Played properly, the SP games require a decent amount of dextery (as the more simple minigames alone won't be enough to help the idol improve her skills fast enough) and memory, so you plan ahead accordingly to the current trends and projections, as well as get to know the idol you're producing so you don't mess up with the social and business situations and make good use of the opportunities the game (in many cases randomly) presents to improve both you and your coworker's chances to advance in the ranks of the industry and reach the top.

However when it comes to the soundtracks, presentation and the amount of content present per game they can't compete with the home versions.

Nonetheless, i can see the appeal of having an engaging and simple rhythm game with comfy music and pretty girls, so i guess getting at least one of the Shiny Festa titles in the future is not entirely out of the question. Hell, i may also get a kick out of the adrenaline product of the social norm transgression and risk involving playing a weeb game like this in a public place.

TheRaven

This theme is so much better than the wild digimon battle theme from World 1 and World 2 IMO. It's so much more intense, I love it. <3 Makes me want to hook up my PS2 and start a new save in this game again, but I don't have time for it just yet. :P

Anon-e-Moose

Ar Tonelico's OST is incredible, reminds me of Venetian Snare's Rossz Csillag Alatt Sz?letett

I think it's also worth noting that the language used in the song is a fully functional language called Hymmnos. It's a mixture of Sanskrit, English, Japanese, and German.

A bit off tangent but...

The game itself is quite honesly crap, the mythos behind it and the music specially is so freaking good however! Some of the things you will have issues with will be fan service for the sake of fan service, and just badly written cliched dialogue along with generic turn based combat.

Ryusei

I've yet to play an Ar Tonelico game because i don't like the character design and everything looks too generic even for me.

I'd recommend Shining Force EXA instead, as at least it's an action-rpg. Or much better, .hack//G.U.

Anon-e-Moose

I don't blame you because as I said the game's plot, gameplay and dialogue are oh so bad, if you ever play it, play it for the fictional language, music, and mythos.

Also I've already played .hack but I've yet to play a mainstream Shining game. I've played Shining Soul 1 & 2 with 2 being an excellent Diablo 2 clone for the GBA.

Ryusei

I see. Thanks for the recommendation.

Try Shining Force III Episode 1.

I'm going to assume everyone already played the first two Wild Arms.

Betaman

One of my favorite tracks of all time is this one

I love how well the orchestra and the electronic instruments blend together. Also, it's a far better variation than the opening, which I don't like a lot.

MechaGS

Since we are an MN9 forum, I thought I should add this recent rendition of the theme song by EGM.

Ryusei

MechaGS

Shiroyami

Quote from: RyuseiI feel the franchise jumped the shark with New Blood.

Sadly TC2 inexplicably bombed and Atlus fucked up with half of Trauma Team's characters' style of play, so i guess we won't be seeing another Caduceus game anytime soon.

New Blood wasn't as interesting as Second Opinion but it's pretty damn solid. That, and I found Stigma to be slightly more challenging than good ol' G.U.I.L.T, but that's just me. As for Trauma Team, yeah. Forensics/Diagnosis were awesome but lacked replay value and orthopedics/endoscopy were bad. But as far as storyline/characters are concerned, it's amazing.

Unfortunately, I agree. We won't be seeing anything close to Trauma Center anytime soon.

Ryusei

Ryusei

The final boss can be a royal pain the ass if you reach it without powerups, otherwise it's very easy.

Renzokuken

Botanicsage remix of various JSR and Sonic Rush tunes.

Hideki Naganuma Mixtape

And for something a bit more metal:

Demetori covering Nuclear Fusion.