Main Menu

Video game music

Started by Ryusei, January 15, 2014, 08:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weejus

Never played Lufia but as if we needed another reason as to why the SNES has the greatest sound chip of all time (Genesis does what Nintendon't? Whatever you say.).

TheRaven

Meh I'm going to have to disagree with your statement. I've always thought the Genesis had a better sound chip than the SNES, but that's just my opinion. :P But how's this for game music? (Sure it's fan made but it's still video game music... xD)

And if this is what Sonic could have sounded like on the SNES... bleh. It's a great remix but it sounds bland IMO. (Of course they probably wouldn't have used these instruments but meh. xD)

Shiroyami

Having never played a Genesis to listen to songs that were meant to be played with its soundchip, I still find it hard to compete against the SNES. The SNES is pure genius.

Quote from: TheRavenMeh I'm going to have to disagree with your statement. I've always thought the Genesis had a better sound chip than the SNES, but that's just my opinion. :P But how's this for game music? (Sure it's fan made but it's still video game music... xD)

And if this is what Sonic could have sounded like on the SNES... bleh. It's a great remix but it sounds bland IMO. (Of course they probably wouldn't have used these instruments but meh. xD)

I dunno.  I haven't the slightest clue on who had the better sound chip, but overall I think most gamers feel that the SNES produced better sounding games.  I think it's pretty evident when people compare multiplatform games.

Not saying that the Genesis didn't produces some kickass tunes though:

TheRaven

Meh just my opinion, I still think both Earthworm Jim's soundtrack sounded horrible on the SNES but sounded fine on other consoles. (The instruments used in New Junk City on the SNES makes it sound goofy and bad IMO.) Here's a comparison if you'd like to check it out. (First Genesis, second SNES. Didn't feel like embedding them this time.)

But when it comes to what sounds better, what console is better, etc.etc. I think it matters on what console people grew up with. xP

Quote from: TheRavenMeh just my opinion, I still think both Earthworm Jim's soundtrack sounded horrible on the SNES but sounded fine on other consoles. (The instruments used in New Junk City on the SNES makes it sound goofy and bad IMO.) Here's a comparison if you'd like to check it out. (First Genesis, second SNES. Didn't feel like embedding them this time.)

But when it comes to what sounds better, what console is better, etc.etc. I think it matters on what console people grew up with. xP

Oh yeah, the SNES didn't always have the better soundtrack.  However it seems to be the case the majority of the time.

And sadly I never grew up with either the SNES or Genesis as a child, so my experience with either system is just from playing at a friends or family's home.

Jagos

Quote from: 56008Oh yeah, the SNES didn't always have the better soundtrack.  However it seems to be the case the majority of the time.

And sadly I never grew up with either the SNES or Genesis as a child, so my experience with either system is just from playing at a friends or family's home.

When it came to Sega utilizing the Genesis chip to make sounds, they could really work some magic on it.

The thing is, it just wasn't that diverse.  <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2612' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>This is the Soundchip</a> for the Genesis.  <a href='http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPC700' rel='nofollow' target='_blank'>Here's the Super Nintendo's</a>.  In regards to power, the Genesis was running on kHz while the SNES was running on MHz.  It was outclassing the Genesis like it was cool.

TheRaven

And with the number of different sound drivers that were produced for the Genesis, some were much better than others. (The GEMS sound driver is the weakest one but with music being composed by a decent composer, it can sound epic. Just check out Sonic Spinball's sound track, it uses the GEMS sound driver where as all the other Sonic games used the SMPS sound driver. The sample music playback system or SMPS is the most used and better sound driver on the console.) But the SNES came out in 1991, where as the Genesis/Mega Drive was released in the 80's so of course Nintendo had the upper hand. (Still I think the Genesis produces better sound but I'm a huge fan boy of the console so... xD)