Main Menu

Any one annoyed at the lack of new voices?

Started by NinjablazerZero, September 11, 2013, 03:40:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinjablazerZero

So recently, I watched the Fairy Tail anime, cause I love the manga. And I hated it because all the voices sucked

Not one of the voices fit the characters at all, and for the one voice that did fit the character, it still sucked because of bad translating and bad acting.

That said, this made me go through a bunch of other animes, and it made me realize, every single one out there these days use all the same voices. It's all just all the same famous voices, and they don't even try to have some vocal range. They sounds exactly as all the other characters they voiced.

It really angers me that these days, animes can't cast voices that actually fit the character, and would much rather cast famous, well known voices, even at the cost of those voices not fitting the characters at all in any way. Any one else feel the anime industry is in desperate need for fresh, new vocal talent instead of all the same voices?

Weejus

Have you checked who licensed the anime you're watching? If it's Funimation, then there's your problem. Funimation uses an in-house voice cast, meaning that the same VAs are used in the vast majority of anime they license, for example:

Christopher Sabat

Piccolo (Dragon Ball Z), Roronoa Zoro (One Piece), Elfman (Fairy Tail)

Colleen Clinkenbeard

Son Gohan (DBZ Kai), Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece), Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)

Sonny Strait

Krillin (Dragon Ball Z), Usopp (One Piece), Maes Hughes (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood)

MechaGS

It's easier and cheaper to have in-house VA's these days instead of reaching out to their Hollywood or other, lower divisions.

That being said, yeah the voice train has run off the track. There's not many new ones entering the fray, just a lot of old guys and gals getting older.

NinjablazerZero

Quote from: "Weejus"Have you checked who licensed the anime you're watching? If it's Funimation, then there's your problem. Funimation uses an in-house voice cast, meaning that the same VAs are used in the vast majority of anime they license, for example

Well, I understand that, and it's kinda what I was getting at. They only use all the same in house VAs, and really justfiying that by saying it's cheaper feels like a cop out excuse. I'm pretty sure it does not cost all that much to hold auditions for new voices, and considering that they would be new voices, they probably aren't gonna be paid as much as the in house actors they have, so really I can't see how they'd be losing money on it. Not to mention they'd probably attract more viewers, who like me, are starting to get fed up with the same VAs.

But ehh, what else can I say other than this is just another random rambling.

MechaGS

I'll agree entirely that it's a cop-out but it's also one of the main reasons that I still watch a lot of anime in Japanese with subs. Some anime's suit their dubbed VA's though so I won't contest it too much.

I know that anime isn't very profitable in the west though. ADV went out of business and Beez did too because people didn't buy the DVD releases. It's no wonder they cheap out on VA's.

I buy a lot of anime, so I guess I'm lucky to have a lot of old ADV and Beez series as those licenses have been stuck in limbo for a long time.