Main Menu

So about the new kickstarter

Started by Home15, July 06, 2014, 11:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechnoWolf

Mega Man X8 had a better compromise :

Incoming call (please without some kind of "BECK ! LISTEN TO MEEEH")

You choose to take or ignore it ; 

if taken, then a dialogue box appears.

If this is a mandatory story part, make the text more apparent, and maybe interrupt gameplay.

Home15

I prefer a good story for once, past Megaman games have been stale and used the same story over and over.

So while voices arent a must they should find a way to convey the story in such a way that you can read it witouth being  rainend down with bullets.

TechnoWolf

Someone else besides me would want to see a better story in a Mega Man game ?

Then I must be a fool having thought I was the only one remotely interested in the FPS reboot, due to its apparent better story.

Jagos

It was darker and grittier.  I don't know if that makes it "better" or "more mature" but it certainly would have been different.

They really hinted that Mega Man was struggling with the rules he was given in the later games.  I'd have liked to see it followed up on.

TechnoWolf

when you start writing on robots, and that's why I'm so passionnated by this, you can really touch on so many themes, as I already said :

- K. Dick

- Asimov

- Relationship between you & your avatar

- Humans becoming robots or acting like robots

- Robots starting to understand how Human mentality operates

- Human's science & industrialization becoming corrupt when into wrong hands

Hmmm, not exactly sure how good of a story you can make when players are able to choose the order on how to tackle the levels.  I'm not saying it's not possible, but having the a game in a linear format would make storytelling a whole lot easier.

As for voices to read the dialogue: I'm not exactly sure if I would like that.  Though having the dialogue so far at the bottom of the screen does make it easy to ignore, it does the job of not being distracting as I'm playing.  Adding the voices might just defeat that whole point.  Although I believe that Azure Striker Gunvolt had voice acting (at least in the Japanese version) during gameplay?  I wonder how that worked out.

icannotdomyjob

Home15, thanks for the quick memo. It helps when one leaves and comes back after a trip.
[quote author="Home15" data-cid="11911" data-time="1410128167">

voice acting is necessary now since your to busy shooting stuff then reading the story, which seems to go away very fast.

What is: Scroll speed selection?
[quote author="Home15" data-cid="11911" data-time="1410128167">

the speed run videos on youtube the stages are way too short, also the boss patterns are so obvious after a few tries it seems.

Same as above, and:
[quote author="56008" data-cid="11937" data-time="1410324201">

having the dialogue so far at the bottom of the screen does make it easy to ignore, it does the job of not being distracting as I'm playing.  Adding the voices might just defeat that whole point.

Better yet, make the text more VISIBLE. USE CONTRASTING COLOURS. They can even do it Gunvolt style, where left and right columns take the the space, you can read, and still play.

@56008
[quote author="56008" data-cid="11937" data-time="1410324201">

Although I believe that Azure Striker Gunvolt had voice acting (at least in the Japanese version) during gameplay?  I wonder how that worked out.

Don't wonder, watch and compare on your own:
Heatman's "Friend" 1st Gunvolt playthrough
inb4 DMCA takedown notice.

Home15

They could fix it trough ingame cutscenes tho, would set it apart from being just a classic megaman game.

So it looks like there's a "big" update with the new Kickstarter campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/1003342

Personally, I don't like the update at all.

They essentially just ignored the lacklustre results of the campaign thus far and used some extra cash they got to fund it anyway (instead of using it to pay for, oh I don't know, our frigging rewards that Nick said he doesn't know how much it will cost!).  On top of that, it looks like they're going to totally ignore if backers actually want voice acting or not and simply act on comcept's desire.

They've finally took one of my suggestions (and I'm sure many of us have asked for more transparency as well) and post some financial information regarding voice acting:

(Still waiting for that "Pie Chart" about how funds are being allocated into the project!!)

And it looks like a bunch of bull to me.  Granted I don't know the first thing about what goes behind recording some voices, but I still think the amount of hours and $$$ listed here is far too high.  And what's with the airfare and hotel costs?  Why can't they simply do the recording in LA or wherever the VA is?  Also looking at the Kickstarter project for "Under the Dog", they were only asking for $580,000 for the 24 minute episode. And looking at their budget plan, I don't even think they have $100,000 set aside for voice acting.  Somethings not right.  But then again, comcept also asked us for an additional $250,000 just for a "Boss Rush" mode!?!?!

DunnoBro

In all likelihood it's them trying to recoup the losses from chargebacks. Remember that they lose more than just what the backers get refunded, they need to spend money to deal with the disputes in order to be allowed to continue to do business.